Severe weather warning issued for Douglas Shire
The Bureau of Meteorology has cancelled the severe thunderstorm warning issued this morning.
The immediate threat of severe thunderstorms has passed, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings will be issued if necessary.
A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued at 8:05am this morning for parts of the North Tropical Coast and Tablelands with heavy rainfall expected across the Douglas Shire today.
The Bureau of Meteorology has warned the thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Port Douglas, Mossman, Daintree Village and Julatten.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Never drive, walk or ride through floodwaters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Have an opinion or point of view on one of our stories or a community issue? Please submit a Letter to the Editor here.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure letter legitimacy. Letters are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Letters containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it. Send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff.
Reader comments on this site are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Our moderation takes into consideration these guidelines and rules before comments are approved for publication.