Severe weather warning issued for damaging winds
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for the North Tropical Coast and Tablelands.
Damaging winds with gusts around 90km/h are forecast early tomorrow morning for Port Douglas, Mossman, Cairns, Tully, Gordonvale, Babinda, and Redlynch.
The Bureau of Meteorology has said a surface low-pressure system is located over central Queensland, moving east.
Strong downslope westerly winds are possible east of the Dividing Range with locations within a few kilometres east of the base of the Range particularly susceptible to these conditions.
The conditions should ease later on Saturday morning.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
• Move your car under cover or away from trees.
• Secure loose outdoor items.
• Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
• Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
• For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Have an opinion or point of view on one of our stories or a community issue? Please submit a Letter to the Editor here.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details to ensure letter legitimacy. Letters are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Letters containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory, personal or abusive material will not be published.
Got a great news tip or video? We'd love to see it. Send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff.
Reader comments on this site are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Our moderation takes into consideration these guidelines and rules before comments are approved for publication.