Stinger net removal will ‘please a lot of people’ in Port Douglas: SLSQ
IT’S the news everyone’s been waiting for. The stinger net will be removed next week just in time for the Port Douglas Carnivale in a timely boost for the tourist season.
Surf Life Saving Queensland's Jay March confirmed today that Four Mile Beach will be net-free from Monday 22 May.
“At the moment it’s scheduled to be removed on Monday which will please a lot of people in Port Douglas,” March said.
“The water is definitely getting cooler and the stinger net is on track to be out next week in the lead up to Carnivale.
“We can’t see that changing at this stage.”
The net remained in place until June last year after an unusually active stinger season. March said this stinger period had been ‘very quiet’ but urged people to continue to take precautions on the beach during the dry season.
“We still swim in tropical waters, regardless of what time of year it is,” March said.
“We encourage everyone to swim between the red and yellow flags when the nets come out because they’re patrolled areas.”
The removal is also a positive for the upcoming Ironman events in Port Douglas which include the Coral Coast Triathlon and Great Barrier Reef Ocean Challenge Outrigger Race on Sunday 4 June.
Good news? Let us know in the comments below.
* Readers are encouraged to use their full details below to ensure comment legitimacy. Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport or its staff. Comments containing unlawful, obscene, defamatory or abusive material will not be published.