Grand final heartbreaker for B grade Muddies /Newsport (copy 1)

Grand final heartbreaker for B grade Muddies

Wednesday March 5 2014

Benjamin Vikionkorpi  

The Muddies team played against the Mulgrave Toads in the Cricket Far North One Day Final at Kerribee Park, Mareeba, on Saturday, in a controversially umpired and rain affected match. 

Playing and winning twice against the Toads throughout the 2 day and 1 day regular season competition, the Muddies were confident of pulling off another win in the Grand Final.

Arriving at Mareeba, where the game was scheduled to ensure that a dry final was played, the Muddies found that the weather decided to not play ball and produced constant drizzling rain, with heavy downpours, resulting in a late start.

By the time the game got underway, it had been reduced to a 30 overs a side game, with the hours of play extended until 6:30pm with no lights.

Being sent in to bat, the Muddies got off to their best start in recent memory. Ben Gaske and Simeon Migliorenza set about making the weather and Mulgrave’s bowling look placid.

The umpires looked set to help out Mulgrave by calling a five ball over.

Getting through the first of the rain breaks, they set about building the innings again until Simeon was caught for 15. Nathan Taig joined Gaske at the crease, and looked to increase the scoring rate.

Sneaking through for a single, Taig was caught short with a direct hit seeing him out for 9.

Hayden ‘Saucy’ D’Addona then set about building a positive partnership, easily working the bowlers around on a field that suited their style of play.

This went along well until a change in bowling saw HD caught behind for 8.

Ezzy Mac was supporting Gaske well until Ben was once again adjudicated LBW. Benny Vik came to the crease with 11 overs left.

Looking to lift the rate, he smashed the first two balls, with the second hitting Ethan’s foot and ricocheting into the umpires chest, knocking him back.

With a certain four runs squandered, Vik went for a cut shot, but only found an edge to the keeper.

Ethan then followed shortly after, being very unlucky to be given out caught even though he didn’t appear to hit the ball. This brought Adam Lucas and Gary Postons together.

Easing their way into the game, they waited until the last few overs to cut loose, putting together one of B grades biggest partnerships for the season.

The number 7 and 8 put on a massive 67 run partnership off 8 overs, dispatching the bowlers to all parts of the ground. This could have been even better, but for another short over; this time over was called after just 4 balls.

Luco and Buckets hit sixes and fours at will, and showed deft touch when needed, running quick singles as well.

The rain then started to fall heavily in the last over. One umpire wanted to come off and get the covers on, the other wanted to stay out and finish the over.

They ended up staying out in pouring rain, making the pitch a slippery mess.

Pushing a second run, Luco was run out in the last over. Buckets then hit another four to take the Muddies total to 149 off 30 overs.

With the pitch more than damp, the covers were then put on during the break, causing the pitch to sweat.

With their confidence up the Muddies wanted to start well. But with the wet deck preventing DJ and Luco from getting a solid grip while bowling, neither hit the right areas.

The first few overs didn’t go to plan, with the Toads reaching 28 off just six overs.

An early change saw ‘Kaos’ Sorensen take up the attack, immediately reducing the scoring rate.

This allowed Luco to pick up his first wicket for the day, rattling the batters castle.  

Bowling his fastest and most accurate spell of the season, Kaiden found the edge of the new batter, only to see it put down behind the stumps.

Kaiden continued to bowl an unplayable spell, beating both batsmen on numerous occasions, but couldn’t find another edge.

Deep bowled some good balls but again struggled with grip.

Benny Vik and Hayden joined in the bowling, and both bowled well. Ben’s extra weight provided some further grip problems, producing some wayward balls that were quickly dispatched to the boundary.

Hayden continued to bowl well, working on restricting the scoring. Buckets bowled an over in the middle but struggled with rhythm.

With six overs left, the light was nearly gone, 39 runs were still needed and with nine wickets in hand, the Toads were still in the box seat.

Jumping on any loose chances, the Toads increased their scoring rate without any dangerous play.

The Muddies just seemed unable to restrict the scoring or have any success in getting wickets, until Luco got his second wicket with his last delivery.

13 runs were needed off the last two overs in dismal conditions.

Dave Johnson bowled a tight over, until an edge found its way to the boundary, with nine coming from the over.

Needing only four to win, and the main strike bowlers all used up, Benny Vik attempted to do the impossible.

The first ball was a dot wide outside off stump. Ball two was hit for a single.

Going for the kill, Ben attempted a Yorker at the stumps, only to see it hit back over his head for four to lose the game.

The Muddies lost with just 3 balls left in the innings. The Muddies played a good game, but were just simply outplayed on the day.

It was a disappointing end to a very good one day season, but the main two day game title is still up for grabs.