Local groups receive thousands in grants
Tuesday 10 January 2012
Community groups in the Far North will get a kick start for the New Year, with local groups sharing in $298,746 in State Government grants.
Member for Cook Jason O'Brien said 18 local organisations would receive a financial helping hand from the Gambling Community Benefit Fund, the Solar Sport Community Group Grant and the Reef Hotel Casino Community Benefit Fund.
“The grants go to organisations that play a vital role in the Cook community, including sporting clubs, volunteer groups, not-for-profit organisations, seniors groups, and parents and citizens associations.
The following Cook organisations will receive financial assistance:
- Mossman Archery Club - $8,500
- Douglas Shire Branch Little Athletics Centre - $14,079 (Gambling Community Benefit Fund)
- Douglas Shire Branch Little Athletics Centre - $6,936 (Reef Hotel Casino Community Benefit Fund)
- Miallo State School - $4,940
- Mossman Boat & Fishing Club - $2,000
- Queensland Police-Citizens Youth Welfare Association - $7,360
- Bloomfield River State School - $31,818
- Mulungu Aboriginal Corporation Medical Centre - $31,818
- The Queensland Country Women's Association - $7,670
- Mareeba United Football Club - $13,636
- Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Assoc - $19,800
- Jabalbina Yalanji Aboriginal Corporation Registered Native Title - $31,818
- Thursday Island Justice Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal Corporation - $31,818
- Bamaga Enterprises Limited - $15,775
- Queensland Blue Light Association - $23,041
- The Queensland Country Women's Association - $10,860
- Chillagoe Caving Club - $14,184
- Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council - $22,727
“I’m sure these grants will be particularly welcome at the end of what has been a difficult year for much of our State following severe natural disasters," Mr O'Brien said.
“By redistributing gambling taxes through grant programs, the funds play an important role in ensuring Cook and the whole State benefits from gambling in Queensland.”
Visit the OLGR website for more information on applying for grants.
Read more of today's news. Check out The Newsport home page.