Commonsense saves lives
Friday 20 January 2012
With widespread shower and thunderstorm activity forecast for north Queensland over the coming days, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) is warning residents about the dangers associated with using generators and candles in the event of a power outage.
QFRS Far Northern Region Assistant Commissioner Wayne Weston said it was vital people remained attentive when attempting to power their own home, and follow some simple commonsense guidelines.
“When using generators, it is important to pay attention to the maximum output written on the device, overloading circuits can increase the risk of potential electrocution,” Mr Weston said.
“When refuelling generators, it is also important to ensure the equipment has cooled down to prevent the risk of explosion or fire.”
Generators should always be located outdoors or in a room furthest away to where people are located. If it is necessary to have the generator indoors, the exhaust must be run outside to prevent serious health risk caused by the discharge of carbon monoxide.
Similarly, Mr Weston said residents who used candles to light their homes should be mindful of the potential hazards posed by naked flames.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Always fit candles firmly in a proper candleholder on a flat, stable, non-flammable surface.
- Don’t assume tea-light candles in aluminium containers are safe, these containers can get very hot and ignite surfaces.
- Do not place a candle where a breeze can blow flammable materials such as curtains across it.
“Finally, people are asked to remember the golden rule of keeping anything flammable out of the reach of children, and never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a lit candle,” Mr Weston said.
Have you checked out the region's best photo competition?