Toothless Crocs smashed

Monday 16 April 2012

Toothless Crocs smashed

On Saturday Port Douglas Crocs journeyed to a water-logged Griffiths Park to do battle with League leaders Cairns Saints. 

Both the Senior and Reserve grade matches were played in extremely wet, blustery conditions, which made the playing of good football very difficult.  One wondered whether the burst of wintry weather was provided especially to make all of the Crocs newcomers from the southern states feel more at home.  As Port Douglas lost both games it is to be hoped there will be no repeat!
In the main game, The Saints got off to a flying start scoring the first four goals and having by far the better of general field play.  Things looked really grim for Port Douglas as it was very late in the first quarter before they registered their first major. 

The team work and crisp, clean ball handling of the previous week was not in evidence in this game.  Whenever Port Douglas scored a goal, Saints immediately answered it.  Luke Serong cleverly evaded three opponents and dobbed a nice goal, but with an eight goal to two advantage at quarter time the Saints were in the box seat.

Cheap, easy, and lasts longer. Check out The Newsport Classifieds.
Unfortunately for Port Douglas their mosquito fleet of smaller, lighter players were out-bustled and out-muscled for the rest of the game.  Better players for Port Douglas included Michael McKeoun and Scott Hamilton but too few players were able to beat their opponents which resulted in a very one side affair.
It was a disappointing result for the large crowd of Crocs supporters who had made the effort to attend the game.  The Crocs coaching staff have some strategic thinking to do if Port Douglas is to be competitive against the Saints in the return match later in the season.

Final Scores:  Saints 29-10-184 def. Port Douglas 5-4-34
Goals: L. Serong 2.  S. Gribbon, D. Wearmouth, P. Godsell.
Best:  K. Bradshaw, M. McKeoun, J. Smith, S. Hamilton
The Reserves game was a hard, grinding slog with the greasy ball skidding across the surface to the frustration of players from both teams.  The first half of the match was a very even contest with both sides making the most of their limited scoring opportunities. 

It was pleasing to see Matthew Gard back in the Crocs colours again and Ben Herbert return after injury.  Jason Wilkie at full forward handled the conditions well and kicked accurately to bag three goals.

Unfortunately for Port Douglas the Saints combination was able to make better use of the wet ball in the second half and established and maintained a winning lead. 
All in all a frustrating day.

Final scores: Saints  8-11-59 def. Port Douglas 6-5-41.
Goals: J. Wilkie 3. M. Lane, S. Evans, C. Tickell
Best: K. Freyling, C. Tickell, L. Butterss, S. Cole, M. Gard, H. Bogicevic
Next week Port Douglas is at home to last year's premiers Manunda Hawks.   Once again Crocs will be facing a fierce opponent. Let’s hope for better things.